Wednesday, August 20, 2008

EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR EMPLOYMENT OF ALL DIRECTORS AND THE CITY MANAGER

In my view it is time to move on beyond all the controversy related to the start-up of the Charter Review Committee. I have created this blog special because I want a non-political place for discussion related to Charter Review. If you read the Rules of Engagement you will see this will not be like the Brownsville Voice. I want to encourage everyone to put their ideas on the table. This can become a link between the citizenry of Brownsville, which includes the Commissioners and Mayor, and the Charter Review Committee.

If you want to make an argument for why we should pay the City Commissioners, just submit it as a comment. I will copy it and then post it as a separate post so people can argue for or against it. This goes for every issue under the sun.

It might be helpful if people e-mail me with their ideas and then I can e-mail them back with a date when their idea will appear. I will also keep the readers updated as to when new ideas will be posted. bobbywc@sbcglobal.net

I will start with the area I care about most - Education.

I do believe we can have a more efficiently managed city if the education of the candidate mattered during the hiring process of the City Manager, Assistant City Managers, and Directors. In most cities the City Manager has a Masters in Public Administration. I would also support the requirement that the Director over Personnel have a Masters in Personnel Management or Administration. As to the Directors I would support the idea that they have a Masters in their field or a professional license in their field.

I believe my proposals are non-partisan and would promote a more efficiently run City of Brownsville. They would also promote the notion to our children that education matters. They would also promote the programs being offered at UTB.

The responses should be simple statements as to why you agree or not agree. I know there are a lot of comments ready to go as to why the Commission will never support these changes. I do believe if the people become proactive in this matter and push the ideas of the citizenry, the citizens can change things. I do believe some members of the City Commission support mandated educational requirements. They just need the people to get behind the idea.

9 comments:

BobbyWC said...

this is a test post

Anonymous said...

To: BWC,
Question:
It is my understanding that
some things that were rejected in the 2005 charter are being pushed (purposely insterted) in this re-charter i.e
like payments to City Commissioners,
isn't
called
volunteer
position for a reason?
Just need calarification,this is a volunteer job.

BobbyWC said...

This is not the type post I was looking for, but because it will allow me to demonstrate my neutrality I will allow for it. Further, I do believe this remains a concern of many of the Brownville citizens so I guess the question mandates a response.

Because the Committee is clearly independent - or at least the last few days tend to support such a conclusion - I am certain the majority of the Committee is going to listen to all sides and make decisions which serve Brownsville.

I am at a loss as to why any issue should be off the table. People change their minds all of the time. Why should the people be denied the opportunity to revisit some of these old proposals.

I trust that if the people pay attention and they continue to oppose these previously rejected changes, they will reject them again.

This decision belongs to the people, not me, not you, not the committee, not the City Commission.

I also think the majority of this City Commission understands that if they try and put these 12 issues on the ballot they will loose everything. It will smell rotten and the entire reform will fail.

But again, why should the people be denied an opportunity to reconsider their position?

The process has to be open to all ideas. The people proved last time they can and will defeat things which they believe are not in the best interest of the people. I intend to trust the people.

Again all ideas should and need to be on the table. Including the 12 proposals rejected last time around. Better for them to be considered and rejected, than not be considered at all.

Bobby WC

further comments which do not address the issue will be copied and posted under the BV.

I do want to stay on topic - but I felt this was a very important and legitimate question. It also allowed for a discussion as to why all ideas should be on the table.

Mas Triste said...

Citywide referendums.

BobbyWC said...

This is how this is going to work. Fridays post will be on the merits of Citywide Referendums. Kurgan, can I get you to write a small or large argument for this, and if someone wants to send me an opposition piece I will post them together.

Please do not post your support or opposition to Citywide Referendums until after I post the issue. It will include a poll.

If you do post, I will not reject it, but will copy and paste the comments as comments to the Friday post.

Bobby WC

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be better for people to email you their ideas and you email them back with a the date you will post it? This way you don't have any confusion with people trying to discuss one idea while others post new ones on the same comment section.

patricia a.

BobbyWC said...

People you need to read the rules of engagement - I will not allow this blog to be a place where you attack personalities or me.

I do not care if you support or reject an idea. State your position and your reason why and it will be posted.

Again this is not a place to attack individuals within the city government. If you want to do that go to the regular blogs.

This blog is safe harbor for all public officials, unless it relates directly to the proposed change or is evidence in favor or against the change.

Bobby WC

BObby WC

Anonymous said...

A person must have half a brain as a minimum as 50% of the people we have do not have a quater of a brain so any one that has a half a brain in these jobs is gifted.
Elliot Ness

Anonymous said...

This is my jumble opiinion on degree requirements.

1). If the position is obtained by the person through popular vote, then I do not think there should be such a requirement.

2). However, if the position is by appointment, i.e. an elected official appoints the person, then it is necessary to have such requirements.

I don't want to leave too long of a comment so if you would like me to elaborate on these points, simply ask. Thank you for having this blog and raising these issues.